Head of Accounting Job Specification
Role: Head of Accounting
Reports Into: Directors
Key Relationships: Client Service Managers, Directors, Head of Marketing, Sales Team
The Progress Accountants team are looking for a new Head of Accounting to join them. The role requires a forward-thinking ACCA/ACA qualified accountant who can not only do the books but has strong networking capabilities. The new Head of Accounting should be able to acquire, maintain and grow relationships with prospects, clients and advisors.
Do you think you’re up to the challenge?
Who we are
Progress Accountants is a dynamic accountancy firm looking to reinvent accountancy as you know it.
Sister company to leading pension audit and assurance provider Assure UK, Progress Accountants assists clients with their accounting needs with a focus on growing business looking to increase market share. Progress Accountants pride themselves in a forward-thinking proactive working style to ensure clients get the most value out of services.
Our approach? We’ve just replaced traditional pen and paper systems with cloud-based technology to deliver real-time accounting and analytics.
- Develop your team to create, generate and delight a favourable first and lasting impression.
- Assist and manage your team to handle the onboarding process as well as day-to-day filing requirements promptly and effectively
- Support the marketing team with marketing activities including:
- Blog writing
- Promotional videos
- Networking events
- Knowledge sharing of client needs
- Develop your team to pre-qualify leads through the sales pipeline
- Produce monthly reports to show status of the sales pipeline, profitability reports and work with the team to improve of low recoverability’s
- Support and assist your team with client allocation and care
- Create forecasts for projected growth and capacity requirements
- Work with your team to continually develop and improve Progress Accountants workflow
- Confidently network, placing yourself as the ‘face and personality’ of Progress Accountants
- Have strong knowledge of services offered by both Assure UK and Progress Accountants
- Develop and manage team to reduce Progress Accountants’ lockup and WIP to 60 days
- Ensure clients promptly return direct debit mandates and signed engagement letters
- Look for opportunities to further enhance the efficiency of the Assure UK’s billing and credit control procedures
- Take ownership of your teams and other team members’ satisfaction score
- Mentor and assist team growth and development. Duties include:
- Performance reviews, and monthly catch-ups with team members to review their progress against the Assure UK’s growth targets
- Give prompt and accurate feedback and praise
- Ensure your team’s targets align with the overall growth objectives of Assure UK.
- Review your team’s allocation and progress during weekly rhythm meetings
- Work with your team to agree specific role requirements and KPIs
- Take ownership of the Assure UK and Progress Accountants KPI dashboard and ensure both Assure UK and Progress Accountants data is available, for review at the monthly management meetings
- Be an active part in the Assure UK and Progress Accountants leadership team and be prepared to voice educated opinions on the direction of Assure UK.
- Run the weekly team meetings and daily operational huddle for your team and the support staff
- Support client managers to complete a client portfolio analysis every year and liaising with them to identify and implement opportunities to upsell or cross-sell
- Support client managers to administer the client satisfaction survey and implement improvements. Work with the whole Progress Accountants and Assure UK team to implement solutions
- Be a qualified accountant under ACA, ACCA, and CIMA
- Have experience of managing a medium / large portfolio of clients
- Be able to effectively delegate, and review work
- Confident and competent with new technologies
- Have a strong knowledge of Xero and other business applications.
- Have excellent knowledge of various accountancy reporting standards (UK GAAP, FRS 101, FRS 102, FRS 105) as well as corporation tax
- Be a confident individual with great people skills, who would be comfortable networking.
To apply, please contact us on 01295 477 250 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.